Ballibong and Billabong t-shirt!

Few months ago I visited island Bali. I didn’t want to take too many luggage with me, so I took just 2 or 3 t-shirts in my back pack. I intended to buy more in Bali. One day I was on the market in Ubud when I saw a tshirt with BALIbong stamp on the chest. I was on Bali and I found it funny, so I decided to buy one. I paid less than 2 euro for it. I wear this t-shirt often and yesterday somebody told me: “hey, but now I notice that your tshirt is Balibong, but not Billabong!” I smiled and I told the story how I got it. This little comment made me think about all big brands and is the reason I am writing this article. Let’s be honest! T-shirt with stamp Ballibong – price let say 2 euro (actually less) T-shirt Billabong – 20 euro on top of the price. The materials are the same, just we change 2 letters in the name…the same product. Balli or Billa…I know, somebody would say that the original t-shirt would have better quality, the labor cost more etc…well…I doubt! The cotton fabric is gonna be the same quality, even big chance that it is coming out of the same factory..
I used to work in the area of confection. I spend about 8 years delivering the cheapest possible stitching materials as buttons, zippers, threads, fabrics for the production of a Dutch company located in east europe. Later on, I was working in the head office, I was busy with the logistics of the rest of the production, ordered somewhere in Asia.  In the shop we had jeans. They were sold as working jeans and we had our own (company) label. The price was between 20-25 euro depending on the quantity you buy. I cant recon the place of production, I think was Karachi in Pakistan. Could be somewhere in India. Doesn’t matter. We were paying around 6-7 euro for the end product. Of course we would order a few hundred pieces…In the same factory were occupied 3000 workers. The factory was making the jeans for Levis. I guess other brands too. And not only jeans. Anyway. The fabric they use to make our jeans was the same as they use to make Levis jeans. Different colour of course. So the pattern was different, maybe extra pocket and extra button to make it more “fassion” looking. The end product of Levis wouldn’t be that a lot more expensive than our jeans. Everybody knows how much you would pay in the shop for pair of Levis jeans…
I have no idea how much a stitching lady would get in such a company. I am sure is not much. My boss (during my work in the clothing company) visited the mentioned factory with 3000 employees, and also other cloth producers. In search for cheap producers of products for  his own business. He told me that the workers in any of those companies didn’t look very happy. Every piece of cloth nowadays comes in Europe (not only) all the way from China, Cambodia, Indonesia, India or that part of the world. My personal opinion is that the big businesses over there are exploiting the workers. As everywhere. But for instance the control in developed Europe doesn’t let big businesses to use the workers as they would like to. Because somebody is watching for working hours, working environment, minimum wage, safety issues and etc. In countries in Asia, is not so much control…there is a lot of talks about it, I don’t want to go there right now. My point is actually that we should stop thinking in a way that the jacket on our back or the shoes we wear is a statement. Doesn’t matter if my sweater is Gap, Hurley or have no any stickers as far as it keeps me warm and dry. Wearing a brand of cloths to impress someone? WTF? Isn’t that turning us into slaves. Slave on the fashion industry. Am I different person if my sweater would be Gaastra? And different if would be Nike? Or completely another if there is no brand on it?
No thanks!! Don’t misunderstand me. I do have cloths from different brands. I do have original Billabong t-shirt. And others too…Sorry. They were given to me as a gift. From my brother, from Luigi, from somebody else…and I am happy to wear them, but not because of the brand! Because they are gift from a person who I do respect. They remind me about him every time when I pull it out of the closet. Recently the mother of my girlfriend gave me a sweater. Warm, soft and I am very happy to wear it. Superdry. I didn’t know this brand of cloths. One day I saw it in the shop. I saw the price tag. It’s insane…how the fuck a normal person can pay so much money for a sweater. I have another also soft and warm sweater from not very known brand and I paid less than 20 euro for it. Instead of Superdry sweater, she could buy 3 of those. One for me and 2 for my girlfriends brothers. Or for 2 homeless people…


PLEASE THINK!!!!Life is too short. People around us are more important than the outlook we have. And with much less money we can look good.  


Comments